What is it?
- A chat tool that allows you to message contacts individually or as a wider group
- Free to download and use, and available on all smartphones as well as your PC, laptop and tablet
- An ideal introduction to digital for those less comfortable with social media as it’s very similar to texting
- But you don’t just have to send text. You can send audio, photos, video, emojis, maps as well as make free phone calls to other users using your data connection
- You can also see who a message has been delivered to and who has read it
Why it’s different from other social media platforms?
- WhatsApp is a chat app. There are other similar apps available but WhatsApp is the most widely used chat app in the UK
- Because it’s a chat tool and available on people’s smartphones it’s great for immediate flexible communication, like on the day team changes, weather updates or venue announcements
Follow this guide and you’ll quickly be able to
- Update players, clubs and officials about your latest news
- Encourage your clubs to interact with other clubs – WhatsApp is a good tool to re-arrange a match at short notice
- Send information to help explain a range of situations: e.g. possible venues, weather conditions, Duckworth Lewis calculators or guidance on permitted flexible match rules
On the days leading up to game days and on game days you may wish to inform and consult with captains on managing the impact of wet weather. You can speak to all the captains in a group or you can have a conversation with the two captains relating to an affected fixture. Providing you with a convenient method of communication that others can reply to.
Interact With Your Local Clubs
A group doesn’t just have to be captains, you can message all the clubs in a league for example, via a WhatsApp group. However, for longer communications it may be more suitable to use MailChimp (see the corresponding section for more information)
Download this PDF to access all the details and step-by-step instructions for each of WhatsApp's key features. You can also discover how to take your account to the next level once you’ve mastered the basics.